Compile time of Expression Templates in C++

Hello,

    I am a PhD student working on the extended use of
expression templates for solving partial differential equations.
Thus, I did a lot of studying of expression templates papers,
articles and expression templates implementations. Actually,
I had some ideas for improving them for high performance
platforms.

   Since compile time of huge expression template programs is
a severe problem, I am interested in the mechanisms within g++
that are necessary to resolve the nested template constructs.
Unfortunately, it is pretty hard (for me) to find any hints on that. Is
there any documentation concerning the policies within gcc how
the templates are resolved, instatiated, etc. ?
Where is the time spent during compiling? I already started
the -ftime-report option and got some information. Concerning that,
about one third of the time is needed by the parser. But I would like
to understand it in more detail, if possible.

    First I would be happy for any reaction of you, just telling me
whether my interests are complete nonsense or unsolvable.
Maybe,  you can give me some hints, where I can find some
answers, or somebody I can annoy.

    Thanks a lot in advance!

   Best,
       Jochen Härdtlein

***************       Jochen Härdtlein
*******      Computer Science Department
*****     University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
***     Cauerstr. 6, D-91058 Erlangen, Germany
**
**     http://www10.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~jochen
****       jochen.haerdtlein@informatik.uni-erlangen.de
********        Tel.: 09131 / 85 - 29 971