This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: MyGCC and whole program static analysis
- From: Joe Buck <Joe dot Buck at synopsys dot COM>
- To: Basile STARYNKEVITCH <basile at starynkevitch dot net>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, mygcc at free dot fr
- Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:52:51 -0700
- Subject: Re: MyGCC and whole program static analysis
- References: <20060830163619.GA3616@ours.starynkevitch.net>
On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 06:36:19PM +0200, Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote:
> Maybe some of your are aware of MyGCC http://mygcc.free.fr/ which
> seems to be an extended GCC to add some kind of static analysis.
> I'm quite surprised that the mygcc page gives x86/linux binaries, but
> no source tarball of their compiler (this seems to me against the
> spirit of the GPL licence, but I am not a lawyer).
Not just the spirit; the GPL requires that full sources be made available,
not just a patch (alternatively, a written offer to provide full source
can be provided with the binary, but one or the other is required).
However, I can't tell if there is a violation, since I haven't downloaded
the tarball and looked for written offers, and it appears that if there is
a violation, it is a well-intentioned error. This is the kind of thing
that the FSF usually resolves quietly and amicably.