Re: compile time regression

Diego Novillo wrote:
Benjamin Kosnik wrote on 08/22/06 07:56:
Hey y'all. I'm just getting back from vacation and as I re-build my
testing baselines, I've noticed a huge compilation time regression.
This happened sometime post Aug 1, 2006. Anybody else notice?

Yes, something did happen after Aug11.  The SPEC testers show a 2-3%
bootstrap time increase from Aug11 to Aug13.

I don't see anything but this:

2006-08-11 Richard Guenther <rguenther@suse.de>

        PR middle-end/28651
        * simplify-rtx.c (simplify_const_relational_operation):
        Simplify A CMP B to A - B CMP 0 only for EQ and NE comparison
        codes.

but a 2-3% increase seems a lot! If it was this patch, it should be possible to find the place in GCC (or libiberty or libcpp) that is being badly pessimized.

I'm starting a bootstrap timing comparison to find if this is a red herring. I'll get the results next morning.

Paolo