How to add a NOP instruction in each basic block for obj code that gcc generates

Hi all,

I'm doing an experiment with gcc.  I need to modify gcc so that a NOP
instruction will be inserted into each basic block in binary code that
gcc generates.  I know this sounds weird but it is part of my
experiment.  As I'm unfamiliar with gcc, is there someone willing to
help me out and do a quick hack for me?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff