pl1gcc 0.0.12 released

August 2006

This is the twelfth code drop of the GCC front-end for
the PL/I programming language.

PL/I for GCC is released under the terms of the
GNU Public License; version 2.

This is mostly a technical release, with some visible user changes.
Most notably, the compiler output will now show the compiler options,
and a message indicating the number of successfully parsed statements,
and further show syntax errors as well.

There is still no code generation taking place, so don't
run out and uninstall your production PL/I compiler just yet :-)

Please inform us about any syntax errors that might occur so we can
check if the error is in the pl1gcc parser, and not in your code.

Summary of changes in v0.0.12:
* Scanner and parser are now reentrant
* Synchronized with gcc version 4.2-20060715
* Improved internal documentation of functions
* Parsing of procedures and their parameters
* Stop compiling at first error
* Make compiler output more user friendly

Changed syntax in v0.0.12
* Fixed error when %INCLUDE filename was not found
* Ignoring hex character 0x1A (ctrl-z, EOF)
* Accept but ignore the following preprocessor statements
-   %SKIP
-   %PAGE
-   %PRINT
-   %NOPRINT

Changed semantic checks in v0.0.12:
* Error message if procedure name is already defined
* Error message if %INCLUDE cannot be resolved
* Error message if an unknown character is met
* Error messages by bison: Syntax error ...

For a complete change-log look in the README file.

What is pl1gcc?
The pl1gcc project is an attempt to create a native PL/I compiler
using the GNU Compiler Collection.

The project is looking for more people to join the development and testing.
If you want to help speed up the development of a free PL/I compiler
please do contact us and join the fun, or consider making a donation using
the sourceforge donation system [*]. That way you can support both the pl1gcc
project and also sourceforge and a number of other open source projects.

Looking ahead.
If you know of a PL/I project that should be compilable by the
pl1gcc compiler, please get in touch with us and we'll see if we can
accommodate it. The code does not have to be covered by GPL.

For more information, comments, feedback and download, please visit
http://pl1gcc.sourceforge.net

If you are interested in how the development is progressing,
follow the discussions on the development mailing list:
pl1gcc-development (-at-) lists.sourceforge.net

Finally, remember to have some fun.

The GCC PL/I Team.

Web links mentioned:
    http://pl1gcc.sourceforge.net