Re: Searching configured and relocated prefix.

On Sunday 23 July 2006 19:40, Andrew Pinski wrote:
> > Before Vista, there's no solution short of "cp".  However, you still
> > have the --sysroot command-line option.  And, if you're worried about
> > Windows, see Paul's response; the problems I've described are
> > particularly bad on Windows, and the developer-base there is often
> > less
> > used to GNU software, so the problems are even weirder.
>
> But isn't Paul's response a confirmation that it is a bug in Windows for
> not having a stat cache and not knowing when a drive map becomes valid?

It's not uncommon for the response times of absent/corrupt physical media or
remote network devices to be many seconds. This delay typically occurs every
time the device is accessed. This isn't a windows bug, it's an unavoidable
property of that device.

You argument seems to be that the current [undocumented] behavior is useful to
me, so we shouldn't change it. My counter argument is that the current
behavior is demonstrably broken in several fairly normal situations.

Your problem can be worked around by symlinking or copying a few files.
My problem requires major system changes (possibly including reinstallation
and reconfiguration of the whole system) to workaround.

Given that there doesn't seem to be a single solution that can satisfy both
constraints I think causing some inconvenience to some users is vastly
preferable to making the compiler unusable for others.

Paul