Re: Searching configured and relocated prefix.

On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 11:40:38AM -0700, Andrew Pinski wrote:
> >Before Vista, there's no solution short of "cp".  However, you still
> >have the --sysroot command-line option.  And, if you're worried about
> >Windows, see Paul's response; the problems I've described are
> >particularly bad on Windows, and the developer-base there is often
> >less
> >used to GNU software, so the problems are even weirder.
>
> But isn't Paul's response a confirmation that it is a bug in Windows for
> not having a stat cache and not knowing when a drive map becomes valid?
> If so I would have hoped that Codesourcery would have filed a bug with
> Microsoft already about how bad performance problem it is instead of now
> trying to work around in real already working code.

This shows that you didn't really think about Paul's response.  Please
try again.  The drive may be something else - like a floppy drive or
other extremely slow media.  This happens almost constantly.

I think that in stage 1, we should switch to not searching any of the
configured paths in favor of the relocated paths.  Carlos has been
working on patches for this.  I'm sure it will break a few
unexpected configurations.  When it does, we can adjust the behavior as
necessary, or document useful tricks for working with such things in
the manual.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery