Re: Splay Tree

Hi Ian,

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006, Ian Blanes wrote:
> I've been recently looking at the splay tree implementation. I've noticed
> that this revision http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs?view=rev&revision=106584
> does a strange splaying. It does a bottom up splaying but starting at the
> root (not the same that top down). It works but performs worst.

Interesting.  Richard Guenther's post for the above change, which was
based upon a previous proposal by Brian Makin, suggested that this
patch reduced the compile-time of his tramp3d benchmark by 1%.

I appreciate that you've also benchmarked "typical" splay tree usage
during a GCC boostrap.  Any chance, that you could repeat your experiment
but instead evaluate the behaviour of splay tree usage during a tramp3d
compilation:  http://www.suse.de/~rguenther/tramp3d/

Whilst your analysis demonstrates that splay_tree_splay is behaving
curiously, I'm also interested in resolving the reported performance
benefits of the different implementations.

Thanks in advance,

Roger