Re: Question concerning shared libraries in non-standard locations

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 03:48:30AM -0400, Paul Hilfinger wrote:

> I guess that I'm simply suggesting that it might be nice if the sort
> of modification suggested by Albert Chin's response to my question
> could be installed automatically under control of a configuration
> option (e.g.), or as a result of the configuration script's detecting
> a non-standard prefix.  (Well, actually, I think his patch has to
> modified for recent versions; doesn't 4.x compile them into the source
> files?).

I think newer GCC releases (dunno when it started) do not install a
specs file. However, there is a "gcc -dumpspecs" option to print the
specs file so you can save it to the default location GCC would read
it from if the specs file existed.

However, the solution I posted will only work on some platforms. It
won't work on HP-UX/IA, Tru64, nor AIX. Why? Because, on these
systems, the runtime path option (+b, -rpath, -blibpath) is not
additive (i.e. you cannot use these options more than once on the
command-line).

--
albert chin (china@thewrittenword.com)