Re: pretty-print.c and gettext

Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> To be clear, gettext tools are used in two ways in building new releases:
>
> * xgettext is run to update gcc.pot and cpplib.pot.
>
> * GCC is built with --enable-generated-files-in-srcdir, which uses msgfmt
> to create .gmo files and copy them into the source directory for
> packaging.
>
> Do you need new gettext versions to be used for both of these steps, or
> just one?

I'm asking primarily for the second step.

For the first step, I don't know whether it will make a difference:
Format strings in the gcc source code certainly don't use reordering,
and the other significant change (allowing the %J format directive in a
place other than at the beginning of the format string) is not used
in gcc-4.1.0. But for the future (4.2 etc.) it's certainly safer
to use gettext-0.14.6 than -0.14.5.

> (GCC maintainers don't run msgmerge; we download merged .po files from the
> TP website.)

OK, that's fine. Then you only need msgfmt from the gettext-0.14.6 package.

> Could you submit to gcc-patches appropriate refinements to the
> configure tests in config/po.m4 to enforce the use of sufficiently new
> gettext where required?

The files that mention 0.14.5 so far are gcc/doc/install.texi and
gcc/po/exgettext. It's trivial to update these two to mention 0.14.6.
You can do that.

Bruno