Re: Generator programs can only be built with optimization enabled?

David Edelsohn <dje@watson.ibm.com> writes:

> Daniel> On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 10:22:17AM -0400, David Edelsohn wrote:
> >> Typing "make" in the gcc subdirectory does not do what I expect.
>
> Daniel> Then could you clarify what happens, and what you expect, please?
>
> 	The behavior prior to the top-level bootstrap changes that I and
> others repeatedly have mentioned in email and IRC: if I type "make cc1" in
> the gcc subdirectory, the build should be invoked with the appropriate
> options from the current build stage.  In other words, if I have a
> completely bootstrapped compiler, change a source file, enter $objdir/gcc,
> and type "make cc1", I expect cc1 to be rebuilt with CFLAGS="-O2 -g".
> Instead, if I type "make" or "make quickstrap", the compilation uses
> CFLAGS=-g.

I actually like the existing behaviour, which I'm pretty sure hasn't
changed for many years.  I often find myself typing

touch $srcdir/gcc/some_file.c
make -C gcc cc1

to get a cc1 built with that file with -O0 in the hope that debugging
will work better.