Re: try/finally in GNU C

Andrew Pinski <pinskia@physics.uc.edu> writes:

| >   while looking into a recent mismatch between GCC-4.x and a C dialect
| > EH implemented as setjmp/longjmp, I recalled there was a talk about
| > extending GNU C with __try/__finally construct:
| >
| >   http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2002-11/msg00239.html
| >
| > What happened to that project?  Is it dead for good?
|
| Doesn't the cleanup attribute to a variable do close to the same thing?

The front-end in question has stopped working because the traditional
setjmp/longjmp translation of try/catch constructs is no longer
working correctly with versions of GCC higher than 4.0.  What is
important for the front-end is that the try-block part is handled
correctly; that I don't see the cleanup attributes provides.

Given that GNU C does not have linguistic constructs for exceptions,
it is not obvious to me how -fexceptions helps.

-- Gaby