Re: Patch queue and reviewing (Was Re: Generator programs can only be built with optimization enabled?)

On 15/06/06, Andrew Pinski <pinskia@physics.uc.edu> wrote:

On Jun 15, 2006, at 2:34 AM, Manuel LÃpez-IbÃÃez wrote:

> I am new to the project so please don't take me too seriously if I am
> saying some dumb thing: why review a patch that doesn't pass bootstrap
> and check?

This is not usually an issue.  Yes most people will only test one target
but that is only because it is takes a long time to bootstrap and
test on
just one target.

Sorry Andrew, I don't understand what you mean by "this" in "this is not usually an issue.

Mike Stump proposed "a batch tester that
would bootstrap and regression test on 2-5 platforms for all patch
submitters post approval but pre-checkin." My point is that a batch
tester post-approval is just wasting reviewers time, which seems to be
one of the reasons why it takes so much time to approve patches. If
there is a need for a batch tester, then it should be pre-review.

Of course, this is just one little step. I don't expect that there is
an ultimate solution, but a number of little steps that will, with
time, improve the current situation. One would be batch testing
pre-approval, another may be secondary maintainers who can reject and
comment patches but need the approval of a maintainer to commit them.