Re: GPL question: Use gcc to build proprietary software

On Jun 9, 2006, at 12:28 PM, xiaoyi wang wrote:
In order to make sure that our proprietary code is not exposed to GPL restrictions by using gcc,

Thanks for the audit. I'm getting the feeling that we should introduce features into the files and give hard compilation errors when the rules are violated to help ensure that we don't regress in this area. :-(

1> Is it legally safe to link with these libraries to propietary software? Does FSF have any formal statement to clarify this issue?
2> Who should we contact to add GPL exception clauses to those files?

Ultimately, us. It is a bug that needs addressing.

Here are the problematic files I found that only have
GPL without exception clauses in gcc4.1.0:

Please file a PR for them. I think it should be marked as a release blocker for 4.2, and we should fix any problems in release branches.