Re: [RFC] Optimization Diary

Tom Tromey wrote:

Devang> In the case of "dead code" we could use _msg. However, _cmd is Devang> available to trigger some actions in tools that use this Devang> information. If we let our imaginations run wild then for Devang> example, lead developer towards __restrict documentation Devang> (i.e. launch lang. standard doc in one window and open Devang> particular page).

I agree, interconnections like the above are cool and useful.  But
this approach seems weird, because it is asking compiler maintainers
to decide whether a given result is a message or an action.

I think it would be more natural for the compiler to say what did or
did not happen, and then to have the IDE, or whatever, apply
interpretation to the record of the facts. I.e., no message/action
distinction.

Since messages are represented using a number, how about using
one category bit to identify command message vs display message ?
Command message is a message where tools, reading opt diary,
take perform some actions.

- Devang