This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [RFC] Optimization Diary
- From: Andrew Pinski <pinskia at physics dot uc dot edu>
- To: devang dot patel at gmail dot com (Devang Patel)
- Cc: pinskia at physics dot uc dot edu (Andrew Pinski), tromey at redhat dot com, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 15:25:11 -0400 (EDT)
- Subject: Re: [RFC] Optimization Diary
> Andrew Pinski wrote:
> >> These are not warnings and they should not cause build failures
> >> when -Werror is used, hence warnings are not suitable medium to
> >> communicate this info.
> > There is a third type of diagnostic in GCC which gets not much
> > use at all. It is called note. It might be interesting to use that instead
> > of saying there is no way to cause no build failures with warnings.
> That's what I meant when I said "hints" ...
> "However, GCC provides (notes) along with warnings and errors. But they
> all reside in build log. While doing performance analysis, build log
> may not be available hence it is required to have it on disk somewhere. "
If you are doing performance analysis the build log better be able to look
at to make sure you are building with the correct options unless you trust
the IDEs (which I and many other people don't).