This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [RFC] Optimization Diary
- From: Devang Patel <devang dot patel at gmail dot com>
- To: Andrew Pinski <pinskia at physics dot uc dot edu>
- Cc: tromey at redhat dot com, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 12:18:25 -0700
- Subject: Re: [RFC] Optimization Diary
- References: <200606061908.k56J88f9014402@earth.phy.uc.edu>
Andrew Pinski wrote:
That's what I meant when I said "hints" ...
These are not warnings and they should not cause build failures
when -Werror is used, hence warnings are not suitable medium to
communicate this info.
There is a third type of diagnostic in GCC which gets not much
use at all. It is called note. It might be interesting to use that instead
of saying there is no way to cause no build failures with warnings.
"However, GCC provides (notes) along with warnings and errors. But they
all reside in build log. While doing performance analysis, build log
may not be available hence it is required to have it on disk somewhere. "