RE: Problem in function in-lining

On 13 April 2006 20:04, Martin Hicks wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 07:32:39PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>> On 13 April 2006 13:37, Martin Hicks wrote:

>>> I posted a couple weeks ago to the list, but never got any responses.
>>> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2006-04/msg00054.html
>>>
>>> mh
>>
>>   I'm afraid that's probably because your question was terribly vague.
>> "Does the wrong thing", with no explanation, demonstration, or testcase,
>> is not exactly anything anyone can help you with, so the answer to your
>> question
>
> Hmm...perhaps I posted the URL to my one reply to the thread and that
> confused you.  If you had looked at the reference post you would see the
> piece of code that failed along with disassembly of the inlined and
> non-inlined version.
>
> mh

  Yes, I did read the prior post.  What you incuded was a non-compilable diff
against a tiny extract of a file I don't have.  Honestly, that's just not any
use at all, not even a little bit.

  http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html contains the appropriate bug-reporting
guidelines.  If you don't provide sufficient information in a suitable form,
nobody can help you.  So far I'm afraid that you've done just about everything
under the "What we do not want" column!  As a result, we can't tell whether
the if (link) test took the wrong branch or whether the (lr == 0) ?: operator
selected the wrong value.  The stuff you posted on your website doesn't
contain the same code you posted to the list and isn't complete.  The
self-modifying code stuff looks pretty dodgy, are you completely sure it
complies with the ABI, is correctly flushed from dcache, is called in some way
that doesn't conceal from the compiler the fact that a subroutine call has
taken place, etc etc etc?

  The 3.4 series is closed now, so if the bug doesn't still exist in mainline
the bugzilla entry you file is liable to be closed as fixed, but enough people
still use 3.4 for ppc that it's entirely likely people will want to look at it
for their own sakes, and in the course of doing so we'll perhaps find out
what's going wrong.  I suspect some kind of trouble with the selfmod code or
perhaps inline asms in one of the bits of code you've not shown us.

    cheers,
      DaveK