Re: FSF Policy re. inclusion of source code from other projects in GCC

Joe Buck wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 01:23:36PM -0800, Mark Mitchell wrote:
>> Richard Guenther wrote:
>>> Do I understand this correctly that the upstream GLIBC versions of the
>>> files will get their license changed, or will this happen only in the GCC
>>> copy?
>> Only in the GCC copy.
>
> Maybe we should check that question with RMS.  After all, RMS is the one
> who doesn't want us to fork imported code; aren't we talking about forking
> at least the license?  There would be two distinct copies of certain
> files, differing only in the license text.

Yes, but they will have to differ anyhow so that they can proclaim that
they are not part of GCC.  So, I think it is clear what the files should
say in the GCC repository.

I will ask RMS if the files should change in the GLIBC repository as
well, but it doesn't need to affect Joseph's (as of yet unreviewed) patch.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery