Re: GCC for SPARC Systems

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Eric Botcazou wrote:

> Eh, SPARC is not IA-64 so improving the SPARC back-end should not be more
> resource-consuming than designing and maintaining a hybrid compiler.  If I'm

gcc4ss wasn't a big effort. gimple form made it easy for us.

> not mistaken, the gap is wide for FP code essentially but Sun doesn't seem
> to care much about FP anymore if I read the Niagara specs correctly.

You're right about Niagara's FP, but it's just one line of products.

> May I also suggest to find a different name for the product?  Presumably it
> doesn't run on Linux or FreeBSD so "GCC for SPARC Systems" is a bit
> misleading, given that FSF GCC for SPARC does run on the aforementioned
> operating systems in addition to Solaris.  Something like "Sun GCC for
> SPARC/Solaris Systems" although I'm not sure if using "GCC" is not already
> misleading.

Glad you mentioned it. Really. I don't like that name either.
Unfortunatelly that what we were told to use.
May be we'll try to change it.
Also your 'presumtion' is correct for the present only.

Alexey.