Re: selection or target tools

Wait wait wait wait wait. This is a cross compiler. Are we mistakenly
running $prefix/bin/$target-as, which is a bad version, or are we
really running $prefix/bin/as, a program named "as"? If we're doing
that, let's fix that separately - it's a nasty bug!

Probably my configuration will not match Gunther's exactly but, to test this, I've modified the $prefix/bin directory where I have an arm-none-elf installed toolchain. I added `as' which is the host tool, and removed `arm-none-elf-as'. I then configured the toplevel and gcc with --prefix=~/testprefix, and every variable pointing to an AS_FOR_TARGET is pointing to the non-existent (but correct) arm-none-elf-as. Inside the gcc directory it even pointed to the $prefix/$target/bin/as.

Gunther, you did not mention really what your build/host/targets are. Could you send me privately the generated gcc/Makefile?

Paolo