Re: GCC mailing list archive search omits results after May 2005

Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, DJ Delorie wrote:
> > Could we put in a google search box on the archive pages at least, to
> > stop confusing people?
>
> Technically feasible but politically sensitive.  Considering
> that links on readings.html to sites that provide some software
> that's non-free-by-FSF-definition is forbidden, I'd like to know
> if that'd be allowed, and I'd want that answer straight from the
> GNU's mouth

It would be useful to at least note by the search box that it only
searches messages sent prior to May 2005.

But note that Gmane (http://gmane.org) is run entirely on Free Software,
and doesn't provide any non-Free Software downloads so you could
presumably add a search box for that without political worries.  (This
may also be true for some of the other mail archives, I'm just much more
familiar with how Gmane is run because I built the current search
facility for it).

Anyway, should you want it there's sample HTML to cut-and-paste for a
search box on this page:

http://search.gmane.org/

Cheers,
    Olly