GCC back-ends

Hi,

Does GCC front- and middle-end keep the source code line numbers all the way until the RTL is generated? I'd need that for the tool I'm developing.

Also, are there any simple source code browsers / static analysis tools that use GCC as the front-/middle-end that I might check out to see how to hook up with GCC?

Thx.
  Domagoj