Re: Thoughts on LLVM and LTO

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 06:52:33PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> That covers the FSF issue, but the GCC developers have their own say in
> the question, too.

RMS has strongly objected to C++ use in the past, but of course there's
no reason to bring up the subject with him unless and until there's developer
consensus.  So IMHO it's premature to have an SC or FSF discussion at this
point ... sometimes a "heads up" message is wise, but I don't think so in
this case.

> Without going any further into this historically touchy subject, I'd
> just like to reiterate one point I made earlier: I think that at this
> time there would be concrete benefits to confining C++ to the
> optimizers, i.e. preserving the ability to bootstrap without a C++
> compiler.

Yes, making bootstrapping more difficult is a real issue, but a mixed
approach could add difficulties of its own.