F77 code under gcc

Dear developers,

I have recently upgraded my PC to Suse Linux 10 (from 9.3). The
distribution
comes with gcc 4.0.2. The problem that arrised after the upgrade is that
cannot compile f77 codes anymore. More precisely when I try to compile a

Fortran file (*.f) I am getting the error:

"gcc: installation problem, cannot exec 'f951': No such file or
directory

This is rather confusing since Novell claims that the provided rpm

has been created with support of F77. Assuming the problem could come from

formated input I tried

-ffree-form

-x f77

but nothing works. Do you have any clue about that? How I can compile F77 code or should I

downgrade to gcc 2.95 or 3.0.x?

Thank you

Alexander

--