Re: backslash whitespace newline

On Oct 26, 2005, at 12:18 PM, Robert Dewar wrote:

Mike Stump wrote:

On Oct 25, 2005, at 9:28 PM, Joe Buck wrote:

Are you really saying that someone is using ASCII line art in comments
that tweaks this behavior?

Yes, I'm sorry if previous message didn't make this clear.

Why would line art ever tweak this problem, why would lines in such art have trailing white space?

Some programmers purposefully put trailing whitespace on their art in order to prevent translation phase 2 line splicing. And it actually works everywhere but gcc. Mind you I'm not defending this practice. I'm just reporting what happens in the field, and giving the opinion that gcc might as well adopt the same behavior as every other compiler ... even though the standards say it doesn't have to.

-Howard