This is the mail archive of the
gcc@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: backslash whitespace newline
On 2005-10-25 12:12:31 -0700, Joe Buck wrote:
> Not needed; the following sequence removes trailing whitespace in Emacs:
>
> ESC-x picture-mode NL
> CTL-c CTL-c
>
> (picture-mode cleans up trailing whitespace on exit).
What about M-x delete-trailing-whitespace?
Anyway by removing trailing whitespace, one assumes that it is not
significant. So, let the compiler regard it as not significant.
> The problem, though, is the program behavior is affected by
> something that is invisible (the trailing whitespace).
Yes.
> If it's an issue that different compilers handle this differently and that
> the standard does not specify the behavior, the answer, I think, is to
> warn when trailing whitespace affects the behavior of the program.
I agree.
> I think that the only case is when the last character is a \ but there
> may be others.
--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>
100% accessible validated (X)HTML - Blog: <http://www.vinc17.org/blog/>
Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / SPACES project at LORIA