Re: 4.2 Project: "@file" support

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 10:21 -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Sergei Organov <osv@topconrd.ru> writes:
>
> > Anyway, my gcc docs only mention:
> >
> > --target-help
> > --help
> > --version
> > --param NAME=VALUE
>
> Yeah, it looks like the double dash long options got added without
> ever being documented.
>
> For the record, they were added here:
>
> Sat Mar  6 15:08:59 1993  Richard Stallman  (rms@mole.gnu.ai.mit.edu)
>
> 	* gcc.c: Handle long options by translation to old-style ones.
> 	(translate_options): New function.
> 	(option_map): New table.
>
> and the table has been kept more or less up to date ever since.

That's new news :).

Anyway I was answering a proposal by D.J. to provide a library function
and my understanding was that it was intended to be used beyond GCC as a
portable way to implement file as argument list (even if a call has to
be added project by project), and in this GNU project context I believe
it makes sense to add a double dash long option for it even if GCC in
practice does not offer them.

Laurent