Re: Old machine cluster for GCC compile/testing

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 12:12:30AM +0200, FX Coudert wrote:
> That's a very nice offer. I think the idea of an automated patch
> boostrap & regtester is of much interest, and i can volunteer to set up
> the systems (if need be, i can move to the machines since i live in Paris).
>
> Furthermore, it would be interesting if we could install, on some of
> those, a rather different OS than the typical linux or freebsd where
> developpers usually test their patches. I was thinking of Solaris, but
> the FSF might not want it install on this hardware (though i don't think
> it being non free is a relevant issue).

Please check with the FSF about what's OK to install on a machine that is
under their control.  Maybe Solaris is now "free enough", but that's for
them to decide (the kernel has been freed, but perhaps there are
proprietary components elsewhere in the OS?).  The BSDs or GNU/Darwin
should be acceptable choices, since they are free software, and it would
be nice to have better relations with the BSD world.