Re: Template instantiation stack messages "staggered" -- why?

On Aug 5, 2005, at 2:22 PM, James Widman wrote:

Hi all,

Something about GCC's instantiation stack messages seems curious to me: for a given stack layer, the location in the message is not that of the template instance name that appears in the same message, but instead the point of instantiation of a template instance named in the immediately preceding message. (So the shallowest point of instantiation is always given in a message that reads "instantiated from here".)

I realise that ISO 14.6.4.1 defines "point of instantiation" to mean something different from the meaning I implied above, but I couldn't think of a correct short descriptor for those locations.

James Widman
--
Gimpel Software
http://gimpel.com