Re: Large, modular C++ application performance ...

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 10:59:01AM +0100, michael meeks wrote:
> Hi H.J.,
>
> >  Why can't you you do it with ELF using a linker map? Libstdc++.so is
> > built with a linker map. Any C++ shared library should use one if the
> > startup time is a big concern. Of coursee, if gcc can generate a list
> > of symbols suitable for linker map, which needs to be exported, it will
> > be very helpful. I don't think it will be too hard to implement.
>
> 	So - the thing about linker maps (cf. the ldump4 tool) is that they
> tend to be hard to maintain, not portable across platforms, a source of
> grief and problems etc. ;-) [ we have several strata of old, now defunct
> link maps lying around from previous investments of effort that
> subsequently became useless ].

Maitaining a C++ linker map isn't easy. I think gcc should help out
here.

> 	As I recall, I saw a suggestion (from you I think), for a new
> visibility attribute 'export' or somesuch, that would resolve names
> internally to the library, while still exporting the symbols.

I sugggested the "export" visibility to export a symbol from an
executable, even if it wasn't used by any DSOs.

> 	That would suit our needs beautifully - if, when used to annotate a
> class, it would allow the various typeinfo / vague-linkage pieces
> through as 'default'. Is it a realistic suggestion ? / if so, am happy
> to knock up a patch.
>
> 	[ and of course, this is only 1/2 the problem - the other half isn't
> much helped by visibility markup as previously discussed ;-]

Why not? If you know a symbol in DSO won't be overridden by others,
you can resolve it locally via a linker map.

H.J.