i_am_not_a_leaf() and -fno-unit-at-a-time

When I try to build recent glibc for ppc with gcc 4.1 I get a failure
complaining about multiple definitions of dummy and _init plus an
undefined reference to i_am_not_a_leaf. Searching on the web I see that
others have seen this with previous versions of gcc and fixed it with
-fno-unit-at-a-time. I tried this without success so far.

According to libc/sysdeps/generic/initfini.c the purpose of
i_am_not_a_leaf() is to let gcc know that _fini is not a leaf routine. Is
there something that has changed in gcc from 4.0 to 4.1 which would cause
this technique to be invalid?

Is there another way to resolve the problem than -fno-unit-at-a-time?

Thanks,
Dwayne

--
Dwayne Grant McConnell <dgm69@us.ibm.com>