-fprofile-generate and -fprofile-use

I am seeing a 20% slowdown with feedback optimization.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this.
These are the steps I followed

1. Compiled the application using -fprofile-generate.
I used this flag both in the compile flags and as part
of the link flags. I also had to use libgcov.a during
the link phase otherwise it would die looking for gcov
functions.
2. Ran a representative work-load
3. Followed (1) except that instead of
-fprofile-generate used -fprofile-use

I had to drop the "-fprofile-use" on 2 files as they
had corrupted profile data. I have tried this
experiment with -fprofile-arc and
-fbranch-probabilities as well and I get the same 20%
slowdown.

Thx
-girish