This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Will Apple still support GCC development?
- From: Dale Johannesen <dalej at apple dot com>
- To: samsmythe at coolindian dot com
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, Dale Johannesen <dalej at apple dot com>
- Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:28:28 -0700
- Subject: Re: Will Apple still support GCC development?
- References: <20050606191730.8BCB53991@sitemail.everyone.net>
On Jun 6, 2005, at 12:17 PM, Samuel Smythe wrote:
It is well-known that Apple has been a significant provider of GCC
enhancements. But it is also probably now well-known that they have
opted to drop the PPC architecture in favor of an x86-based
architecture. Will Apple continue to contribute to the PPC-related
componentry of GCC, or will such contributions be phased out as the
transition is made to the x86-based systems? In turn, will Apple be
providing more x86-related contributions to GCC?
Nobody from Apple has yet responded to this because Apple does not
its employees to make public statements about future plans. I have
to say this, however: Apple will be using gcc as its development
compiler for producing
Mac OS X Universal Binaries which target both PowerPC and Intel
We will continue to contribute patches to both efforts.