Re: Will Apple still support GCC development?

On Jun 6, 2005, at 12:17 PM, Samuel Smythe wrote:

It is well-known that Apple has been a significant provider of GCC enhancements. But it is also probably now well-known that they have opted to drop the PPC architecture in favor of an x86-based architecture. Will Apple continue to contribute to the PPC-related componentry of GCC, or will such contributions be phased out as the transition is made to the x86-based systems? In turn, will Apple be providing more x86-related contributions to GCC?

Nobody from Apple has yet responded to this because Apple does not generally like
its employees to make public statements about future plans. I have been authorized
to say this, however: Apple will be using gcc as its development compiler for producing
Mac OS X Universal Binaries which target both PowerPC and Intel architectures.
We will continue to contribute patches to both efforts.