Re: Compiling GCC with g++: a report

On 2005-05-23, at 08:15, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

Sixth, there is a real "mess" about name spaces.  It is true that
every C programmers knows the rule saying tags inhabit different name
space than variable of functions.  However, all the C coding standards
I've read so far usually suggest

typedef struct foo foo;

but *not*

typedef struct foo *foo;

i.e. "bringing" the tag-name into normal name space to name the type
structure or enumeration is OK, but not naming a different type!  the
latter practice will be flagged by a C++ compiler.  I guess we may
need some discussion about the naming of structure (POSIX reserves
anything ending with "_t", so we might want to choose something so
that we don't run into problem.  However, I do not expect this issue
to dominate the discussion :-))

In 80% of the cases you are talking about the GCC source code already follows the semi-convention of appending _s to the parent type.