Re: [lkcl@lkcl.net: has gcc been reworked so that code/templates can be "outsourced" e.g. to perl yet?]

Short answer, no.

I think we'd welcome patches to make gcc work great on boxes like this; but, it is a hard problem, and the right patches are invariably going to be hard to produce. The problem is the right patches will need to be target independent, so that support could be added for any similar machine, and this makes it harder. Also, the right patches will not farm out to perl, but rather will just do the right thing inside the confines of gcc.

See the OpenMP work and the autovectorization work for some ideas on how we are progressing gcc to deal with hardware like this. To the extent technologies like that can make it perform well, I think that is the direction gcc is headed, beyond that, if you are interested in doing the work, you'd nee to start a discussion on the remaining unsolved problems and how to advance things to solve those issues.