Re: GCC 4.1: Buildable on GHz machines only?

Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

>> The GCC build times are not unreasonable compared to other,
>> commercial compilers with similar functionality.  And the GCC
>> developers
>> ave plans to address inefficiencies -- GCC 4.0 often is faster than
>> GCC
>> 3.4.
>
> If you are going to make sweeping statements like this you need to
> back them up with hard data.

It is surely faster for C++ code thanks to the work done by Codesourcery on the
lexing upfront and the name lookup. "Faster" here means 20-30% faster, so it's
not 1% or something like that.

There are many posts on gcc@ that show this, I can dig them up in the archive
for you if you want, but I'm sure you can use google as well as I do. Two of
them are very recente (see Karel Gardas' post on this thread, and the recent
benchmark posted by Rene Rebe).

Giovanni Bajo