Re: GCC 4.1: Buildable on GHz machines only?

Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org> writes:

> Except it's not just bootstrapping GCC.  It's everything.  When the
> NetBSD Project switched from 2.95.3 to 3.3, we had a noticeably
> increase in time to do the "daily" builds because the 3.3 compiler
> was so much slower at compiling the same OS source code.  And we're
> talking almost entirely C code, here.

Well, there are two different issues.  Matt was originally talking
about bootstrap time, at least that is how I took it.  You are talking
about speed of compilation.  The issues are not unrelated, but they
are not the same.

The gcc developers have done a lot of work on speeding up the compiler
for 3.4 and 4.0, with some success.  On many specific test cases, 4.0
is faster than 3.3 and even 2.95.  The way to help this process along
is to report bugs at http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla.

In particular, if you provide a set of preprocessed .i files, from,
say, sys, libc, or libcrypto, whichever seems worst, and open a gcc PR
about them, that would be a great baseline for measuring speed of
compilation, in a way that particularly matters to NetBSD developers.

Ian