Re: GCC 4.1: Buildable on GHz machines only?

Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com> writes:

> When I see the native stage2 m68k compiler spend 30+ minutes compute bound
> with no paging activity compiling a single source file, I believe
> that is an accurate term.  Compiling stage3 on a 50MHz 68060 took 18 hours.
> (That 30 minutes was for fold-const.c if you care to know).

The fold-const.c compilation seems like a good specific candidate for
a bug report at
    http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/

If you can include the preprocessed file and profiler output from cc1
running on your system, there is a chance that this can be addressed.

In general the gcc developers do a reasonable job of keeping the
compiler from being too slow, but they do not use m68k systems, and
they can only work on problems which people bring to their attention.

And, yes, we clearly need to do something about the libjava build.

Thanks.

Ian