Re: GCC 4.1: Buildable on GHz machines only?

>  >> However, I can always tell when a GCC build has hit the libjava
>  >> build -- that's when the *whole system* suddenly slows to a crawl.
>  >> Maybe it comes from doing some processing on 5000 foo.o files all
>  >> at once... :-(
>
>  Andrew> But that is not GCC fault that binutils cannot handle that
>  Andrew> load.
>
> Perhaps not.  But perhaps there are workarounds that allow the gcc
> build to do its job without using binutils in a way that stresses it
> beyond its ability to cope.

Well on ppc-darwin, linking libjava takes almost no time with only 256MB
of memory.  What times the time on ppc-darwin with libjava is libtool
generating the list of files to link.  So again this is a binutils problem
as it works just fine with a good linker.

-- Pinski