Re: GCC 4.1: Buildable on GHz machines only?

 >> However, I can always tell when a GCC build has hit the libjava
 >> build -- that's when the *whole system* suddenly slows to a crawl.
 >> Maybe it comes from doing some processing on 5000 foo.o files all
 >> at once... :-(

 Andrew> But that is not GCC fault that binutils cannot handle that
 Andrew> load.

Perhaps not.  But perhaps there are workarounds that allow the gcc
build to do its job without using binutils in a way that stresses it
beyond its ability to cope.

Matt's time output suggests that massive pagefaulting is a big issue
-- and it wouldn't surprise me if the libjava build procedure were a
major contributor there.

      paul