Re: GCC 4.1: Buildable on GHz machines only?

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 08:05:39AM -0700, Matt Thomas wrote:

> David Edelsohn wrote:
>
> > 	GCC now supports C++, Fortran 90 and Java.  Those languages have
> > extensive, complicated runtimes.  The GCC Java environment is becoming
> > much more complete and standards compliant, which means adding more and
> > more features.
>
> That's all positive but if GCC also becomes too expensive to build then
> all those extra features become worthless.

Worthless to whom?

The features under discussion are new, they didn't exist before.

If you survived without them previously you can do so now.
(i.e. don't build libjava if your machine isn't capable of it)

But claiming it's "worthless" when plenty of people are using it is
just, well ... worthless.

jon

--
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure."
	- Aldous Huxley