This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: GCC 4.1: Buildable on GHz machines only?
- From: Matt Thomas <matt at 3am-software dot com>
- To: Gary Funck <gary at intrepid dot com>
- Cc: Gcc Mailing List <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:12:45 -0700
- Subject: Re: GCC 4.1: Buildable on GHz machines only?
- References: <JCEPIPKHCJGDMPOHDOIGIECJCOAA.firstname.lastname@example.org>
Gary Funck wrote:
>>From: Matt Thomas
>>Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 10:42 PM
>>Alas, the --disable-checking and STAGE1_CFLAGS="-O2 -g" (which I was
>>already doing) only decreased the bootstrap time by 10%. By far, the
>>longest bit of the bootstrap is building libjava.
> Is it fair to compare current build times, with libjava included,
> against past build times when it didn't exist? Would a closer
> apples-to-apples comparison be to bootstrap GCC Core only on
> the older sub Ghz platforms?
libjava is built on everything but vax and mips. Bootstrapping core
might be better but do the configure on the fly it's not as easy as
it used to be.
It would be nice if bootstrap emitted timestamps when it was started
and when it completed a stage so one could just look at the make output.
Regardless, GCC4.1 is a computational pig.
Matt Thomas email: email@example.com
3am Software Foundry www: http://3am-software.com/bio/matt/
Cupertino, CA disclaimer: I avow all knowledge of this message.