Re: front-end tools for preprocessor / macro expansion

Henrik> For the PL/I front-end project (pl1gcc.sourceforge.net), I am
Henrik> just about to begin to add a preprocessor expansion step, and
Henrik> was wondering what other front-end do.

Henrik> My initial thoughts were to create a completely separate
Henrik> program that just do the preprocessing and passes the output
Henrik> to the compiler.

The C preprocessor was initially a standalone executable and was
rewritten to be a library.  I would recommend you just start out this
way.  It is simple to turn a library into a standalone executable, if
that turns out to be desirable, but harder to go the other direction.

Tom