GCC superblock and region formation support

As a quick introduction, my name is Robert Kidd, and I'm working with the Gelato Federation to improve the performance of GCC on Itanium. In particular, I'm looking into improving GCC's superblock support, hopefully bringing over some of what we have learned with the IMPACT compiler project.

After studying GCC's current tail duplication and extended basic block scheduling code, I'm thinking about ways to improve GCC's representation. I'm aiming for a more concrete form than a basic block trace. Steven Bosscher pointed me in the direction of the region formation project by Daniel Berlin and Kenneth Zadeck, which sounds like a good basis for a superblock representation. What is the status of this project? Has any documentation or code been released?

Thanks
Robert Kidd
rkidd@crhc.uiuc.edu