Interprocedural Dataflow Analysis - Scalability issues

Hi,
I am working on interprocedural data flow analysis(IPDFA) and need some feedback on scalability issues in IPDFA. Firstly since one file is compiled at a time, we can do IPDFA only within a file. But that would prevent us from doing analysis for funcitons which are called in file A , but are defined in some other file B. So even if we do any analysis it would give limited advantage. Morever even if we are able to store information of large number of functions, it would cost heavily in memory, and threfore non scalable.
So, to what extent can IPDFA be advantageous ? Or, are there solutions to above problems ?

Regards,

Virender.