Re: MIPS, libsupc++ and -G 0

Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> writes:
> Richard Sandiford <rsandifo@redhat.com> writes:
>> The only reliable way to get what you want is to either (a) add -G0
>> multilibs or (b) change the default -G setting.  Perhaps a configure
>> option would be useful here.  Maybe something like --with-sdata-limit,
>> to go alongside options like --with-arch and --with-tune?
>
> Or perhaps an -m option to put stuff in .sdata as normal, but generate
> code as if nothing is in there?

Maybe (and I realise other ports do) but in some ways it gives the worst
of both worlds.  libsupc++ and libstdc++ will end up eating chunks of the
small data area without getting any real benefit from it.

A configure-time option is likely to be more convenient for folks who
use -G0 because you don't have to coerce every build system to add it
on the command line.  And it wouldn't penalise those who want to use
the usual -G8.

Richard