Re: [RFC] warning: initialization discards qualifiers from pointer target type

On Apr 18, 2005, at 6:29 PM, James E Wilson wrote:
This seems rather unlikely to be an accident.

I agree, I'm sure it was due to bad system header files, only some of which had const and others didn't. By ignoring the issue in the compiler, the compiler works on such (broken) systems. The usual case I think was a system that had a compiler that did const, but the OS hadn't added it yet, but people built software that made use of const, and presto, it wouldn't compile. In the C++ world, we did the same thing (we used warning as I recall) for a long time, but that was due to bugs in the compiler, where const wasn't propagated around correctly internally, so, instead of pestering the user with error messages they could not fix, we just made it a warning by default. The idea was eventually we'd weed them all out and make it an error; today, it is an error.

I notice that these are pedwarns, not a warning as in the -Wcast- qual case, which means that the ISO C standard requires a diagnostic here. For this reason, it may not be wise to add an option to disable the warnings. You may lose portability to other compilers.

If we had a framework for disabling warnings.... it probably would just fit into it. :-)