Re: My opinions on tree-level and RTL-level optimization

    I take it from your comments, that you are in the camp that believes
    that "the sun has not yet set" on the need for RTL optimizers. :-)

I'm actually in the camp that "the sun will never set" on the need for
some RTL optimizers.  We'll be able to remove some of the most costly
of them and the remaining ones will do less work, but I can't see
eliminating the bulk of them (combine, CSE, loop, etc).

The strength of GCC has always been its ability to perform optimization
at all levels and I think that will always continue to be the case.