Re: GCC 4.0 Freeze

Branko Äibej <brane@xbc.nu> writes:

> Zack Weinberg wrote:
>
>>  "This compiler does not support all of Fortran 77 yet.  We recommend
>>  distributors continue to provide packages of g77 from GCC 3.4 for
>>  the time being.  When gfortran is considered a complete replacement
>>  for g77 we will announce it."
>>

> "We recommend distributors continue..."
>
> Oh I say, is it really so hard?

Are you objecting to the absence of "that" after "recommend"?  I don't
personally find that infelicitous (and find the version with a "that"
excessively verbose) but I wouldn't be surprised if other dialects of
English held the opposite perspective.

z "prescriptivism considered mandatory or harmful on a case-by-case basis" w